Thursday, December 15, 2022

In the News

In-the-NewsApple's new Continuity Camera feature lets you use the superior camera on your iPhone instead of your lackluster webcam so that you can look better on videoconferences when you use a Mac.  If you use a laptop, Belkin makes a simple mount that you can use to hold your iPhone in the right position ($19.99 on Amazon).  But if you use an external monitor or an iMac, then you—like me—have been waiting for a similar mount that you can use.  I've tried other ways to prop up my iPhone next to my iMac and they haven't done a great job of holding the iPhone in the right position (although I can attest that the camera quality was vastly better than my iMac).  Wesley Hilliard of AppleInsider reports that Belkin is now supposed to be selling a $29.95 MagSafe Mount that works with monitors.  As I'm typing this, it is not available on the Apple Store, and it is not yet even listed on Belkin's own website.  I'm not sure if the Apple Store sold out quickly before I first checked or hasn't yet started selling them.  Regardless, I plan to buy this as soon as I see that it is available.  I've heard from folks using prototypes of the Belkin product, and they have said that it works well.  I see that Chance Miller of 9to5Mac is reporting that the first orders won't ship until mid-to-late January, so getting this simple device might be about as difficult to purchase as an iPhone 14 Pro right now.  It doesn't seem like this mount is all that complicated of a device, so it is a shame that we have had to wait to get this device from Belkin and there are no alternatives from other retailers.  But once mounts like this are widely available, I think that these will become must-have products for anyone who uses a Mac to videoconference.  And now, the news of note from the past week:

  • One of the new features of iOS 16.2 is the new Freeform app.  Jason Snell of Six Colors provides a good review of what this app can do, as well as thoughts on what could be added in future updates.
  • Snell also offers a good take on the rumors that Apple will soon allow third-party app stores other than its own App Store to comply with certain EU regulations.
  • iOS 16.2 wasn't the only update this week.  If you are still running iOS 15, Michael Simon of Macworld reports that Apple also released iOS 15.7.2 with a dozen critical security updates.
  • Chance Miller of 9to5Mac reports on a mac in Iowa who tried to use AirTags to stalk a woman but was caught because of Apple's built-in safety features.  Unfortunately, stalkers can purchase similar technology from companies other than Apple that lack these safety features.
  • If you use the Microsoft Authenticator app on your iPhone, you may have also used the companion app on the Apple Watch to authenticate a login.  Filipe Espósito of 9to5Mac reports that the Apple Watch app is being discontinued next month.
  • Whenever I am looking to edit photos on my iPad and I want something more powerful than the built-in Photos app, the first app that I use is Pixelmator Photo.  It is easy to use but packed with powerful features, including a great repair tool that I use with my Apple Pencil.  Benjamin Mayo of 9to5Mac reports that the app now has new tools for enhancing sharpness and details in shadows, plus the subscription is now 50% off for your first year.  I pay $23.99/year for this app and I consider it to be well worth it.
  • Chance Miller of 9to5Mac reports on what is new in watchOS 9.2, including a Race Route feature that lets you compete against your previous runs, HomeKit improvements, Crash Detection optimization, and more.
  • Joe Rossignol of MacRumors reports on some iOS 16 features that have not yet been released and may be slated for iOS 16.3.
  • Amber Neely of AppleInsider reports on the second time (to my knowledge; I'm sure there have been others) that the iPhone 14 satellite feature was used to rescue someone.  This time, the victims were stranded 300 feet in a canyon in Southern California after their vehicle went off the side of the road.  They were recused with the aid of a helicopter.
  • Ben Lovejoy of 9to5Mac discusses the new Advanced Data Protection feature of iOS 16.2, a great new feature that I discussed last week.
  • D. Griffin Jones of Cult of Mac explains how the new Apple Music Sing feature works — a feature that I'm sure that most folks will call Apple Karaoke.
  • And finally, Mike Fleming, Jr., of Deadline reports that the movie Spirited on Apple TV+ is the biggest movie ever released on the platform.  I watched it with my wife and daughter last weekend, and we all give it a big thumbs up.  If you enjoy big Broadway-style musicals with lots of songs, skilled and fun dancing, and a huge cast, then I suspect that you will love this movie.  It was much better than I had expected, with a clever plot that provides a great twist on the familiar story of A Christmas Carol.  And the songs are both funny and catchy.  If you want to get into the spirit of the holidays, check this one out.  Here is the trailer:

       

0 comments:

Post a Comment